Full-time Staff Accountant
Trinity Episcopal School is currently seeking applications for a full-time (40 hours per week) Staff Accountant. This position serves as a member of the Business Office and reports to the Controller.
Trinity Episcopal School is an inclusive, forward-thinking, faith-based K-8 independent school that meets each student where they are to nurture the whole child’s academic, social, physical, emotional, and spiritual growth. Trinity is located in West Lake Hills, close to downtown Austin, Texas.
The ideal candidate will be a committed team player who is flexible to the changing needs of the business office, and of the school in general, and possess the ability to work with minimal supervision and guidance to get the job done. Strong attention to detail and willingness to assist others where needed is an absolute requirement for this position. In addition, the ideal candidate must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently as the Controller is currently located remotely. Communication and teamwork between the Accounting Associate and Controller is key as is the ability to consistently meet crucial recurring deadlines both on daily work and on projects. We use the accounting software system Veracross.
- General accounting knowledge and experience is required (Accounting degree preferred).
- Experience working in a module-based accounting system is preferred.
- Excel proficiency required
- Experience working to specific deadlines required
Accounts Payable duties, including, but not limited to:
- Obtain Department Head approvals on any AP Invoices presented for payment, some may require higher level approval
- Receive invoices, match purchase orders where applicable, verify costs, match any associated receipts and quantity received and process for payment.
- GL coding of invoices with proper general ledger account and project number requires proficient understanding of general ledger accounting
- Enter invoices in to Veracross accounting system (web based) with care and accuracy to proper GL codes
- Obtain W9 Forms on all new vendors and enter complete information into VC Masterfile, maintain clean Maintain Accounts Payable master records and both digital and hardcopy files.
- Process all incoming check requests and employee reimbursement requests, obtain appropriate approvals and process to required deadline.
- Process monthly Amex card charges by obtaining all receipts from cardholders monthly and uploading timely to close deadline. Coding of receipts to proper general ledger accounts and projects numbers is required (see detail below re: weekly reconciliation)
- Perform weekly check run with Controller
- Match invoices and checks, obtain appropriate account signatures and mail checks on the same day printed
Accounts Receivable duties, including, but not limited to:
- Daily deposits of any checks received through Remote Deposit Unit in office
- Receive daily cash receipts to student accounts including incoming payments online through VC Pay and create deposit batches prepped for posting
- Book daily transactions from bank into appropriate GL accounts via CR Batch or Journal Entry as required
- Book Billed charges to student accounts as required (Sports, ATB, Summer Camp, Preschool and various department charges as necessary) prepped for posting
- Act as a customer focus representative for families who may call or write with billing related questions by patiently responding to each request accurately and timely
Perform weekly reconciliation of AMEX and VISA credit card purchases:
- Collect receipts for all corporate credit card expenditures and ensure that all receipts have been collected and properly recorded/GL coded for each monthly billing statement prior to monthly accounting closure
- Ensure proper Department Head approvals have been provided for all receipts submitted according to policy
- Prepare Accounts Payable invoice for credit card payments (including all general ledger coding and verification of financial approvals) and upload
- Maintain complete credit card hardcopy files
- Ability to upload data via a system importer
Assist Controller in monthly financial close process as outlined on monthly close checklist:
- Perform accurate monthly bank reconciliation of all cash accounts in Veracross and other Balance Sheet accounts (as required) by monthly close deadline
- Create Journal Entries monthly as needed/directed for close for Controller approval and posting
- Maintain Fixed Asset Listing Journal Entry for Controller approval and posting
- Perform all task items listed on checklist by monthly deadline, accurately and timely with complete documentation keeping in mind requirements of annual accounting audit requirements.
- Prepare journal entries in VC, prepped for posting including all non-cash receipt deposit items (donations, etc.) or as requested by Controller
- Create deposit for bank courier of any cash collected via fundraising activities
- Assist Controller with online banking transactions when directed
- Assist Controller with preparation of Excel schedules as required for year-end audit to detailed schedule each year.
Other duties as assigned.
- Accounting Degree or at least three years of general accounting experience or applicable college level coursework
- Must be very organized, detail-oriented and able to manage assigned processes with minimal supervision
- Must be able to complete tasks to specific deadline as directed in a self-directed manner
- Must be flexible to the needs/schedules of various departments and school based requirements
- Must have at least intermediate level Excel proficiency
- Experience with Veracross software a plus, but other module-based accounting software packages will be considered
- Skilled business communication writing skills required – customer facing
Resumes and letters of application should be sent to Human Resources at Trinity Episcopal School, 3901 Bee Cave Road, Austin, TX 78746, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Trinity Episcopal School invites all qualified individuals who share our core values to apply for faculty positions. All faculty members must be able to support Trinity’s mission as a Christian school. Trinity Episcopal School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Trinity Episcopal School complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Trinity Episcopal School expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Trinity Episcopal School employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.